Agaves

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found myself just looking at shapes and lines here. I was confused as to what was shadow and what was concrete. Still am.

Specific Feedback

Anything, everything.

Technical Details

ISO 1000, 300 mm, f/5.6, 1/250th.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

WOW! I’m confused too and that makes this wonderful! I think the vertical frame fits well with the shapes and I like the tonal range in the grays. Well seen and presented!

This is very confusing, which is cool. I really have trouble figuring out how you got inverted thorns, but I love them. A very neat abstract, Don.

Diane, Dennis, thanks. I’m glad I wasn’t the only one who found it confusing.

By the way, the shape in the lower right makes me think of the gaping mouth of a predatory fish.

Hi Don,
Really captivating, and I was like, wait, there’s concrete? Still trying to sort that myself.

I like this as presented. I can imagine a slight bit more contrast, but there is a sunny, desert quality to the higher tonal range that strikes me as appropriate for the desert-loving plant species.

Nice work.
ML

Thanks for the thoughtful response, Marylynne.

Don, great job on this image. Love the interplay of light and shadow and the layers. The shapes are well separated from each other. The composition is nicely balanced. I found the lines to be dynamic.

Black and white was a great creative choice. I never would have guessed there was concrete in the frame. Job well done on an original and engaging image.

I don’t see concrete here either. What a wonderful presentation of agaves! I especially like the tonal values. Many would go for a more contrasty look. Did you use Tony Kuyper’s new Magic Mixer to do the conversion?

Alfredo, Larry, thanks for the responses. Larry, I’m not familiar with Tony Kuyper.

I apologize for the unclear wording of my original post. There’s no “concrete,” in the sense of the building material, in the photo. I started to say I was confused as to what was shadow and “what was real,” but that would have implied that shadows aren’t real, so I used the word “concrete” instead of “real.” I meant it in the sense of “tangible” but obviously I was unclear. That was pretty clumsy for an English major who’s supposed to be able to express himself. :slight_smile: