Aging well

Description:

Arriving in late afternoon on
a Jack Graham workshop, this Bristlecone pine was especially striking after sunset.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D III w/ EF24-105 @105mm. 1/30 f/16, AP
LR and PS to develop color and luminosity

knudson633

2 Likes

Dick, this is a great shot. Love the soft light and the pastel colors. Jack is a good friend and he does great workshops.

Cheers,
David

1 Like

A bristlecone pine is the first thing that came to mind when I read this weeks challenge. Beautiful shot.

1 Like

I love the shapes of the branches of this tree, really beautiful capture!

1 Like

Excellent!! These things are thousands of years old and this is a wonderful specimen! And the icing on the cake is the wonderful capture of the earth’s shadow in the sunset sky!

1 Like

A great choice for the challenge and an excellent photo of this very old Bristlecone Pine tree, Dick! The composition is perfect and I really like that there is enough detail in the lower background to give it a sense of depth and presence. The layers of colors are special also. Very nicely done!

I love these pines and you’ve done a great job presenting one. Simple and effective.

Question for @Diane_Miller - earth’s shadow? I must be blind.

1 Like

The pink sky is illuminated by the last light of the setting sun. The blue sky below it would also be pink, but for the shadow of the earth .

At,the time Jack called this the Galen,Rowell tree. Apparently was subject of an Outdoor Photographer magazine cover by GR.

At,the time Jack called this the Galen,Rowell tree. Apparently was subject of an Outdoor Photographer magazine cover by GR

1 Like

Thanks for that. I had my brain in eclipse mode and didn’t think of the shadows made by higher elevations and geological features. Doh.

@Kris_Smith Actually, geo features and elevation are not involved in an “Earth’s shadow”. It is the shadow of the sphere of the earth; you are seeing night. You can see the same thing at sea level or from an airplane at sunrise or sunset. I am not sure if atmosphere clarity is involved one way or the other.
See, for example, https://skyandtelescope.org/astronomy-news/observing-news/earths-shadow-07292014/

1 Like

The bristlecone stands out well here, Dick. The color gradation in the sky sets the stage well and adds some nice warmth to the textures and shapes in the tree.

That tree is probably 3000 years old. I’ve seen speculation that some may be almost 4000.