Bristlecone Pair at Sunset, Cedar Breaks

Image: Bristlecone Pair at Sunset, Cedar Breaks

Description: Cedar Breaks is Bryce Canyon’s unappreciated kid brother, and in truth, it is not as varied or magnificent as Bryce. Elevation is over 10,000 feet, for those who need to consider that. But it has some wonderful Bristlecones within an hour’s rugged hike from the visitors center and the redrock setting is much different from the bland landscape we get when shooting these wonderful trees in California. I caught these at sunset, early October, feeling fortunate that the light created a pink hue on the trees. Then I realized I did not have a flashlight for the hike back.

Specific Feedback Requested: General critique; the shot is cropped tight and maybe too tight.

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Olympus EM1 Mark II, F11, 1/15th on tripod, ISO200, 30MM.

I really like the light on these, especially the forward tree. It does add interest to the image for me. It might be a bit tight, but I’m not sure what you had to work with on either side, and I don’t necessarily find it bothersome. I’m glad you apparently made it back safely without a light!

Thanks Karla.
Cedar Breaks is worth another visit for sure.

1 Like

Gorgeous light on a well-composed scene! You handled the sky color very well --it brings out the dramatic clarity of the dry air at those altitudes. Those ancient Bristlecones are amazing! Glad you made it back!

Thank you Diane. I think it’s time for a metal print!