Alaska at minus 50

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

The foreground!
Shadows cast by the moon and the hoarfrost

Creative direction

I certainly like this as I have processed it

Specific Feedback

Technical side of this - any thoughts ?

But whatever anybody sees useful

Technical Details

ISO 6400, 4 secs, f 2.8

Description

Walked a mile on this river in northern Alaska at minus 40 and stayed there for 3 hours - after which the cold got the better of me

Technical side: I do not feel qualified to comment, however, I know when I like something, and this is wonderful. I was just wondering how you managed to keep yourself and photographic equipment from freezing. Seems like you had to be in very cold temperatures for at least 4 hours.

Thanks @Jim_Gavin
Generally speaking below MINUS 30 is the danger zone. Batteries and camera may give up. I keep 2 extra batteries on my person - shielded by my jackets/body warmth
These were with Nikon’s Z9 and 14-24mm lens - which somehow stood up reasonably well except for 1 button - the Zoom in - something that I check periodically for star sharpness

A fantastic opportunity. The sky portion of the image is where the interest is for me. The light on the ice is interesting but it’s the sky I want to see. I’m curious why you included so much FG? The mid-ground (the mountain and its base) are good elements to include but why not point the camera up more? Wide-angle distortion is easy to correct. There is a lighter fringe above the left flank of the mountain that may be from a mask to lighten the mountain, but maybe it is just a natural sky gradient? It is most obvious where it meet the mountain flank.

I think you should have another try with NR. It is very uneven across the frame, with a bad patch in the center of the righthand piece of the aurora, and the snowbank is unevenly crunchy. What method did you use? I would expect better with that camera. The stars have minimal corner distortion but show a dark halo from over-sharpening.

There is a lot of posterization, most likely from the JPEG conversion. You might try a smaller pixel dimension and higher compression quality.

I can’t even imagine minus 40, even with no wind. So now I understand why I’ve never photographed the aurora.

Thanks @Diane_Miller

I do get carried away often enough when processing exciting subject material and this is a glaring example

Composition wise though, i believe the subject is the aurora bur equally important is the setting in the Brooks range, Alaska - that hoarfrost!
Hence the 3 zones - aurora, mountain and the hoarfrost
Perhaps a little more sky - If the auroras were dancing , thats different
I have processed another image which i will post separately now