All in the Eyes

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Normally these Green Darner’s seem to be skittish for me, and I don’t get a close up shot. This was almost a 1:1 with the 180mm macro lens.

Specific Feedback

Does the furl of the perch seem distracting? The bottom is the edge of the frame out of the camera. I cropped 8X11 so the sides were cropped but the top and bottom are as shot.

Technical Details

Canon R5, Canon 180mm L macro lens, HH, all manual settings. 1/400, f8, ISO 320.

1 Like

Great perspective, Shirley. The furl is a bit distracting, but those eyes keeping pulling my attention to them. Nicely done.

1 Like

Hi Shirley,
wow, that looks amazing. A very beautiful closeup of the dragonfly. There are so many fine details in the eyes when you view the image in its original size.

No, I don’t find it distracting. I really like the S-shape leading the eye to the dragonfly.
It’s just a bit of a pity that there isn’t a bit more space at the bottom of the image.
But I’m not sure if it is a big deal at all because close-up style, Even the wings of the dragonfly are cut off.
Maybe I would darken the brightest parts of the furl slightly.

I was just curious what the image would look like if you had some more space at the bottom edge:

Thank you, @Jens_Ober that does look better with a little space under the curl. I wish I had captured it that way, but hand hold, manual focus you are watching to make sure the eyes are sharp, and I missed that the piece was at the bottom edge.

I don’t shoot actual macro, Shirley so it’s difficult for me to critique the techs. But I can say the eyes captivate me. In fact, its entire face shows lots of detail. The furl is a bit distracting, but perhaps you could do as @Jens_Ober suggested and darken it a bit? It wouldn’t draw the eye so much that way. Fun shot for sure.

1 Like

Wow those eyes are something else viewed large! Good suggestions above about the curled vegetation but I’m still just drawn to the eyes in the original. Fine catch! I think this is an Eastern Pondhawk female.

1 Like

Veeery cool! I don’t know how you guys back east can get this close to Dragonflies. Ours are all very skittish. The only strategy is to find one that keeps coming back to the same perch while hunting and slowly sneak into position while it’s gone. But even then, for me, that’s 600-1000mm distance.

1 Like

Shirley: A face only a mother could love! Great selective focus and marvelous detail in the face. I’m OK with the furl although it did get my attention for touching the bottom of the frame. What Jens did works for me or I might even crop/clone it away. Nice find and a fine capture. >=))>

2 Likes