Alligator of Merritt - New Post

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The Black Point Drive at Merritt Island NWR has some nice diversity from grassy wetlands, to open shallows and mudflats, to mangroves, to channels, to canals. It has a nice diversity of wildlife too, all the waterfowl, wading birds, warblers, kingfishers, alligators, manatees, and even armadillos.

Technical Details

Canon 7D MII, f7.1, 1/1600 sec, iso 800, -0.3 exp bias, 189 mm (100-400 Lens)

1 Like

A good image of this alligator, Ed. Good detail and I like the position of the face. I also like the position of the body in the frame. If this is a cropped version of the original, it would be nice to see a little more of its habitat on the top and right side, though it looks nice as is. I would also consider darken the gater a bit.

These critters are a reason I like living on the west coast! :grin:

@Steve_Kennedy thank you for your comments and suggestions. I think this was pretty much full frame, but I may have another version that is zoomed out a bit more. I was trying to get the little bit of reflection of the gator in the water, but it didn’t really come out much. I will go back and see I can rework this a bit.