Almost Spring In Columbia

Fellow NPNer Lon Overacker came for a visit over this past weekend. We wandered out to a small oak forest not far from home. We both liked the brewing thunderstorm clouds and the afternoon light on the oaks.

There was breeze affecting the scene, so I punched up shutter speed and ISO a bit.

Nikon D-7100
Nikkor 70-200 @ 200mm
f-16 @ 1/125 ISO 200
ACR, PSCC,TK’s masks and a B&W adjustment layer

Any thoughts you may have are always appreciated. :smile:
–P

I am really enjoying the lines of the trees contrasting with the spring green grass. The tree branches coming in from the left are throwing me off a bit. I might be inclined to crop off the left side to eliminate the trunks and only leave the high branches. It more isolates the beauty in the middle to my eye.

Preston,I will try and give some comment. But after seeing your website it is just MHO.
Your image lacks a bit of contrast. I made a copy of the image. With a luminosity mask of some of the dark parts I made these parts a little darker. Without clipping them.
I hope this is of some help. I learn with this to make a critique.

Hey Preston,

This came out great! The first reaction I had was that this Exactly how I recall the scene in terms of light, color, contrast etc. It’s pretty rare actually that we get to critique an image where the critiquer was actually there! And I was.

If I wasn’t there I might wish for a warmer color in the main tree there, but even while standing there I though how pale/white the light was. You’ve rendered the scene and the light as I remember it.

I also like Ben’s edits with the little bit of added contrast, noting that the contrast wasn’t that high but there’s always room for personal expression of what we think something should look like. And to Ben’s point, it’s also a great way to learn as well.

The colors look great, including the green grass. And I didn’t notice at the time or even reviewing this later - that bit of blue breaking through the clouds up top. I think that little element really makes a difference and looks better than if it was all clouds.

Great job working this one PB.

Lon

Thanks for your comments, gents.

@Harley_Goldman, I did crop this from the top, right, and a bit off the bottom. I thought about cropping some from the left, but I liked the curves of the trunks pointing to main tree.

@Ben_van_der_Sande, thanks for your comment and rework on the contrast. The light was actually quite soft, so I wanted a more open feel. I was also concerned about having black holes. I appreciate your efforts, though.

@Lon_Overacker, I actually warmed up the color balance in ACR: The RAW was much cooler. I tried it slightly warmer, but the grass started looking too yellow, as did the clouds. I see what you are saying, however.
–P

Preston, I like the mood you have captured here, it definitely has the feeling of it being a day of dynamic weather. I like the curved trees on the left, they add a graphic element to this scene and make it more than a simple tree portrait. And your choice of a warm WB adds some nice vitality to this image. Although I like this image as is, I might consider cloning away the large brown clump of vegetation in the LLC, I find it to be a minor distraction.