Columbia Autumn + Repost

Columbia Autumn on Big Hill Road

This image was made this past Wednesday as a storm was moving in. The light was very soft, and I had to contend with pre-frontal wind. That is why I chose the high ISO (800)

How is the color and contrast?

Any thoughts on the composition?

Nikon D7100
Nikkor 70-200 @ 70 (105mm equivalent)
F16 @ 1/60, ISO 800 under heavy cloud cover
ACR, PSCC-2019, TK’s Masks and Saturation Painting mask

Your thoughts a re always appreciated. :slight_smile:
-P

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is a nice rural autumn scene. The processing looks good to my eye. I would clone out the pine branches coming in from the left. To my eye, they complicate the composition and distract. Otherwise, looks good.

Nice colors, I think I would burn the bright foreground grass a bit. Also I would have stepped to the left a tiny bit when taking the shot to get separation between the fence post and the bush.

Nice autumn colors Preston. Normally I would think a fence would block a view to a scene, but because it’s barbed wire, of course we can see right through - it works well to frame and provide context to the image.

I would agree with the greens on the left edge of the frame. Even the little sapling hiding behind the fence post. I think an option to cloning would be to selectively desaturate those yellow/greens along the edge. Actually, the smaller of the green bow could easily be cloned, not sure about the larger one, hence my suggestion.

Oh, I like the tall skinny tree on the right helping to frame the scene.

Lon

Preston, I like this one as presented. You could try a CA or cloning on the greens on the left for another look, but regardless it looks good as is too. I especially like the complete fence here with respect to posts, wire, and even the symmetric spacing of the fence in the scene. Nicely done…:+1:

Thanks for your comments, gents.

I cloned the smaller pine bits on the left edge and then selected the other pine boughs and the sapling behind the post. I then used a Hue/Sat layer to bring down the pines. Looks much better, and the pine color no longer competes with the yellows and reds.

I decided to leave the grass as-is.

1 Like

Mucho better Preston. It’s amazing how big a difference small changes can make.