Posted

Fence Posts and Rock Wall, Columbia

I really liked this little scene, but I am curious what you think about the lightness/darkness of the autumn leaves background. Is the background too light, too dark, or OK?

Any thoughts on the composition will be appreciated.

Nikon D-7100
Nikkor 70-200 @ 70mm
F-11 @ 1/13, ISO 200.
ACR, PSCC-2019, TK’s masks, full frame.

I will be thankful for any input you may have.
-P

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Preston, I really like the idea here and find the bright BG no issue at all. Does not seem too intense to me for this scene. The speckled fence post, supports, or rails work perfectly with the rocks too…:+1:

Only change for me is wishing for the top of the main post being included. But I learned a long time ago not to assume on any compositions unless being there at the exact same time…:sunglasses:

This is a nice little scene. I am with Paul about the top of the post. Maybe a crop to eliminate the intersection of the horizontal board with the post? Doing a scroll crop, that takes away my yearning to see the top. Background looks like it fits.

Thanks for the comments, gents. I’ll consider a crop. I went back there this morning and looked at the scene again. There is a tree directly behind the vertical post, and other trees to the left. While I agree with Paul about the top of the post showing, it is not possible without a distracting merger between the post and three behind.
-P

Preston, I fully understand and can relate easily on the issue. That was my point on the earlier comment about not prejudging on compositions. In this case what you found on the revisit was no doubt what you saw originally and the reason the scene was captured as presented in the end. You’re way too seasoned to have ever made any errors on that point I’m sure of that…:sunglasses:

Too bad the backdrop would not allow any options. What I find on almost every take in the field is where I want to plant my tripod is usually exactly where there is some large rock or plant to prevent an easy setup…Sigh!

Preston,

I’m really liking what you saw and captured here - especially the lichen covered rock and fence posts; even the wire and leaves/grasses at the bottom. It’s compact and still tells a nice story.

My only nit is not that the top of the post isn’t included, but to my eye the bg green/yellow just doesn’t quite mesh with the rock/lichen/fence. For one, it’s lit by the sun, the rest of the scene is diffused light and second, the light just pulls my eye up. Not sure what to suggest though. Cropping it out you lose most of the nice cross-post and lichen. I suppose you could darken and desaturate a bit to minimize it’s presence? Dunno. You said you’ve returned here? What about a higher perspective? Even just raising the camera 6 inches or something to shoot a little downward, avoiding the bg all together? Of course suggestions like that might just not be practical since I don’t know what else is going on outside of this view.

Most definitely liking this a lot though.

Lon