Fenced In--or Out?

Tuolumne County, CA

What are your thoughts regarding processing and/or color?

Does the composition work for you?

Nikon D-7100
Nikkor DX 16-85mm @ 48mm
f-16 @1/25, ISO 200
ACR, PSCC, TK’s Luminosity and Saturation Painting masks

Any comments you may have are always apprecieated. :slight_smile:
-P

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I was on the fence (hahaha) on this one, looking at the small version, but after opening the large, I quite like it. The zig zag pattern opens up in the large as do the rich details and the image works well. Processing looks on the money to my eye. I might burn or desaturate the red tree trunk ULC, but very minor stuff. Very well done, Mr. Birdwell.

I really like the understated processing, it gives a good sense of autumn without color fireworks (not that I don’t like those - but there is a place for everything). The zig-zag works. I suspect that for some the bush on the lower right might be a distraction, but I’m fine with it, I’ve been in that situation many times. Besides, short of going around with a sickle, what are you gonna do? :thinking:

Great composition and title, Preston. The colors look fine to me. I like he foreground weeds and the glow you managed to give them. If anything, I’d be inclined to give the background trees a light once over with the dodge brush as they’re a bit dull compared with the grasses.

Preston,

I really like this too! And ditto to Harley’s comments; the only small suggestion would be to adjust the tree in the ULC - very minor indeed.

I like this because it seems to defy some common compositional “rules.” Namely, a fence more often than not blocks a viewer, prevents the eye from entering a scene, etc. etc… So kudos for turning those thoughts upside down and using the fence to create lines, angles, etc. Also, I like that there are several different types of fences and stages of use and age - helping tell a story of fences and their use, “Fenced In-or Out”

Great job recognizing the potential!

Lon

I like the subject you’ve chosen and the perspective you’ve used to show it. It’s a fairly intriguing image. Yet despite the complex composition it’'s the dry brush and the near fence that holds the most interest for me. It all seems helter skelter but holds together nicely. I would like to see just a bit more of the bottom of this image I think. Nice work.

PS I also appreciate that you’ve shown something of the ordinary as extraordinary. Good seeing on your part.