Springfield Oaks and Stormy Sky

Went out yesterday morning after a storm passed through giving NorCal some much needed rain. The light on the foreground trees was playing hide and seek with passing clouds, so I had to play the waiting game. One other item to note: The green grass is an irrigated pasture.

What do you think of the composition, and processing?

Nikon D7100
Nikkor 70-200 @ 135mm
f-16 @ 1/200, ISO 800

ACR, PSCC-2019, TK’s masks, and Neat Image NR
I did do some cloning to remove some patches of bare ground in the foreground.

Your thoughts are always appreciated. :slight_smile:
–P

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is a nice look at some local color. The midtones seem bright to my eye. I used a curve and pulled down the midpoint a bit. As always, YMMV.

Preston, the light here is very dramatic, you have to love changing weather. I like the composition a lot, that one spruce tree sticking out adds a lot of character to this shot. I too felt this looked a bit bright on my monitor, and was going to recommend you burn down the green grass and sky a little. But I actually like what Harley did even more, and think his changes help a lot. I often struggle with how much contrast is too much, but in “changing weather” light like this there usually is significant contrast present, and Harley’s rework looks pretty natural to me.

Preston,

Love this kind of light - when there’s a dark sky behind/above and light hits a scene. And so in this case including the sky above is key this image for me.

I actually like the brilliance and luminosity of the foliage. If anything, my suggestion would be to burn down the grass at the bottom. And if mine, I’d clone out or significantly darken the rock in the LRC. I’d also burn down the log or whatever along the lower left edge. Other than those two bright things, I’m really liking the autumn color being framed top and bottom by sky and grass. Makes for a pleasing vertical comp.

Lon

Thanks for your comments, everyone! Your suggestions a re appreciated :+1:

I did a little tweaking:

• Used a TK Mids-5 Mask to bring the mids down a bit. The mask also affected the foliage, reducing it’s brightness.
  • Burned down the grass and the boulders.
    *Cloned out a few distracting bits on the bottom edge.

What say you?
-P

Looks better. It is easier to compare if you put the revised in the original post to make it easier to go back and for, but then, you knew that. :slight_smile:

Preston, I’m in on the re-post. The points about the original being too bright were good ones. Your changes have addressed that and IMO that was all that it took…:+1:

I think your repost with the couple of small tweaks nailed it, Preston. I am enjoying the light on the trees along with the backdrop of storm clouds. Glad you guys finally got some rain as you sure needed it.

I agree, the repost is a nice improvement and thought the original was a little bright. Nice to see things start to turn green.