Guarding the Pass + RP

I posted a version of this on NPN 1.0 long ago, but was never very happy with it. A few days ago, I went back to original RAW and processed it from scratch.

I tried to retain a bit of the sun’s disk as it peeked through the cloud cover, so processing the sky was a bit of a challenge. Also, there was a breeze, so some of the grass is soft. I considered cloning the two oaks on the left, but decided to leave them. I did clone out about a million cow pies. :wink:

Nikon D-7100
Nikkor 16-85
PS-CC
TK’s masks.

I would appreciate your thoughts on any aspect of the image that strikes you.
–P

1 Like

I quite like this one. It has drama and simplicity. I would be inclined to crop some off the bottom and thereby bring more attention to the main tree and sky. Looks real nice and no other suggestions.

I would say the two things that strike me the most about this image are the contrast between the sky and the ground and the beautiful curve of the horizon line. Okay, three things. The third is the way that curve is punctuated by the fence posts, the star of the show - the tree and by the two trees poking up on the left, which, by the way, I’m glad you didn’t clone out. The punctuated sky line furthers and supports the drama set up in the contrast between sky and ground. Okay, four things. I also love the way the sun is isolated by the “hole” in the clouds and how that mirrors the isolation of the tree below. Really, a much more complex image than it would, at first appear. My first impression is of a nice bucolic scene but what holds my attention is the drama and tension. Very nicely seen.

I like solitary trees in the landscape. The two others that are just visible don’t bother me, I think they balance the fence on the left? I don’t know what you had to do to the sky, bu tI’m guessing the dynamic range was huge :wink: The darker clouds look a bit grainy, but it’s not a real bother. The sun seems well controlled. I love the light along the hill’s edge.
There seem to be some dust spots left in the sky that are gone in 5 seconds.

Beautiful, Preston. More and more I look at landscape images, the more I’m drawn to simplicity. In that light, I think this composition works superbly. I do agree with Harley on experimenting with cropping a bit off the bottom to place more emphasis on the key compositional elements of the central tree and sky. I don’t see the vast expanse of grass adding anything other than providing an anchor for the image. Processing looks very natural.

1 Like

Preston, It’s always special to take an old image and processing with todays knowledge . The two oaks should stay. For me they make the image. It’s about peace and quiet .

Preston,
So glad you went back to rework this as this is just so peaceful and serene looking. There is lots to like here starting with that graceful curve in the hillside and the oak placed perfectly in the right spot. The oaks on the left side help balance the fence on the right IMO and the processing of the drama laden sky is fantastic. The diagonal lines of clouds add some nice visual tension to this pastoral scene. Beautifully done!

Thanks for your comments, everyone! I ran Neat Image NR to reduce the graininess in the clouds, and I also cropped a bit from the bottom, as per @Harley_Goldman and @Dave_Dillemuth’s suggestion.

Your thoughts are always appreciated. :slight_smile:
–P

Preston,

I quite like this - a lot! And the repost looks great! Small, but considerable improvements to the image. The whole setup just works beautifully - and yes, including those topped off trees. I agree they balance nicely with the fence line. The curve of the hill crest, and the mix of spring and winter grasses all overseen by the brooding sky and sun… comes together.

Now you and others can call me the nag, nitpick police… but I can’t leave here without suggesting you clone out the dust bunnies! :roll_eyes:

Lon

I like the redo crop image, Preston. Simple little scenes can be difficult to pull off. Seems like all elements have to contribute to the whole.and everything works here for me. The brooding sky and sun window really balance the grassland and trees. Agree with Lon the two crowns work with the fence line.

Beautiful shot Preston, I like the crop off the bottom and I think this would make a great pano if you cropped off the top too. I would personally clone out the trees on the side to emphasize the symmetry of the shot but it looks nice as it too.

Preston, I am coming in late here, and I think the re-post looks great. I agree with @Dave_Dillemuth, I find myself drawn to simplicity in landscapes. This is image is all about elegant simplicity, and the light. I like having the two partial trees on the left, to me they create some balance with the fence on the right.

Regarding the million cowpies, I assume you used the Photoshop Pooper Scooper tool ? :grin: