Crowning Achievement +RP

Edit: added rework using some of the suggestions. Thanks!

Just spent a few days camping and photographing with my buddy Preston. Had a great time, the flowers were prolific up on Sonora Pass and we’ll both be posting some images from this trip.

I’m hoping Preston will vouch for me on this one. We were actually hanging around camp when I spotted this little scene. I just thought it was cool; new growth coming out of the top of what looked like a pretty dead stump, maybe only 8ft high and less than 2ft in diameter. It was on a down slope, so I was able to be at eye level from an uphill position. Upon closer inspection there was one very alive branch coming out of the stump that really wasn’t visible from where I stood. Anyway, it was set up against a forest of cottonwoods in the distance that were blowing quite nicely in a stronger than normal wind in the canyon. My thought was to isolate this new growth on the stump against a blurry background with a shallow depth of field.

When folks think of focus stacking, we of course think of getting sharp details all the way through, front to back. In this case however, I used focus stacking with a wide open aperture. So because the dof is so shallow, I was unsure if I could get all of the juniper in focus with one f/2.8 shot. So I captured 5 images at f/2.8, with each image focused on just one of the bows/branches to ensure I could get them all sharp - while of course maintaining the soft bg.

Needless to say, I am very happy with the result. It’s not that often, at least for me, where you see something in the field, you have a vision of what you want to create - and then to have it all come out exactly like you had planned. It’s not a barn-burner of an image by any stretch… I’m just tickled that I pulled off what I set out to do. (This is where I’m putting Preston on the spot - as he is my witness!) :wink:

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Processing? Greens ok, not too saturated?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Ok, I think it’s obvious I like this… but am very curious if this works for anyone. I can’t say I’ve ever seen new growth out of the top of an old, weathered stump…

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Nikon D800E, Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8 @155mm, 5 image focus stack
Full disclosure: pine tip/branches CA-cloned at the bottom of the frame on both sides. This little scene was sandwiched by other bigger trees (sheltering from wind somewhat) so I had to move around a bit to get the best isolation I could. I knew I would be getting rid of the tree tips in POST.

Thanks for any comments, critiques or suggestions!!

1 Like

This certainly came out very nice. These old Western Junipers have a lot of character and you did a fine here showing that.

I think the processing looks great. The greens look just right, and love the texture in the bald wood.

If I had one minor nit, I would suggest burning down the OOF tree trunk between the two tallest needle sprigs just a tiny bit.

Excellent job here, Lon. Not sure what I need to vouch for. I just sat in the camp chair, being lazy, and sipping coffee while watching you work this lovely scene.
-P

This came out rather nicely. The DOF separates the subject rather nicely. I’t would be nice if there was a color separation between the subject and background as well. What about warming the bg to do so?

Excellent shot Lon, there’s a lot of cool things going on here. I love the all the interesting textures, the symmetry, the tack sharp fg against the blurred background and the metaphoric contrast between the dead wood and new growth. The greens look good to me.

This came out nice. Good shallow DOF and processing looks good. Nice sitting around the old campsite. Wish I coulda been there.

This is great, the crop and the greens look good to my eyes. I especially love how the blurred background isolates the sharp foreground, and the bokeh isn’t distracting. The focus stack is really worked out. An excellent intimate image!

Dang. This is beautiful, Lon. The separation with the BG is super good although I will echo what Preston said about the brighter OOF trunk in between the two pine branch. You know what they say about this kind of piece: Print, Frame, Hang!

Lon. This is beautiful shot that seems even better with the story of how you came upon it. The composition with the old wood and new growth is perfect. I love your idea of focus stacking using f/2.8. Damm Preston, after he mentioned the lighter branches I can’t take my eyes off them. Haha. I agree with his comments on burning those a little to let them settle in the background. Wonderful image.

The greens look great Lon. The composition and subject matter appeal to me as well. I do agree with Preston as to burning down the OOF tree trunk between the two tallest sprigs. Your focus stacking looks good.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I think the image is improved!

Good call on the burning down of the trees in the bg @Preston_Birdwell. I kinda was thinking about that. Hopefully it’s better now. I burned it some, but mostly I painted a darker green color and low opacity on an empty layer. I like these kind of methods where I’m not dependent on a hard selection.

And @Igor_Doncov, thanks for your suggestion as well - although it’s much more difficult separating green and yellow from green and yellow… But the changes were small enough that I could get away with a rough painting job to include just mostly the background. I used both a Selective Color layer and Hue/Sat to alter the hue and color ever so slightly. I also dropped the luminance in the H/S layer so it become a little less saturated. I targeted the bare tree trunks for more selective burning and desaturation. And while I was at it, bumped up the saturation a smidge in the juniper as well to help with a little more punch and separation.

Any additional thoughts on this new rendition, great appreciated.

Missed you too there Mr. H @Harley_Goldman. Your absence was honored because “at least it wasn’t windy…” :rofl:

Next year for sure.

Thanks again everyone for your comments.

Lon

Lon. Your second round of editing looks spot on. Nice job. Image looks great.

1 Like

The RP has the ticket, Lon. Looks great! :+1:
-P

1 Like

I do believe the rework is an improvement.