Columbia Sweetgum

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Color and contrast

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Composition

Any pertinent technical details:

Nikon D-7100
Nikkor 70-200 @ 90mm
F-16 @ 1/200, ISO 640 (Due to intermittent breeze)
ACR, PS-CC 2019, TK’s masks.

Your thoughts are always appreciated. :slight_smile:
P

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Preston, I think the color looks spot on for a warm sunlit subject, and I think the saturation level is good. My preference would be to adjust the black point to make the shadows a little darker and more crisp. In terms of composition I think the image is nicely balanced. The inclusion of the foreground rock and grass creates a triangle shape with the main tree that works really well. The background tree, and especially it’s shadows, create a nice sense of depth here. Nicely done…

I like the two-tree composition. The dappled shadows add interest as does the rock. I do think the contrast in the leaves due to the harsh light detracts from the colors and adds busyness. There are a lot of hot spots in those red leaves. If they could be tamed somehow …

The color and contrast look fine to my eye. The hotspots Igor mentions don’t bother me a bit. The composition feels a little tight on the side for me. I would like to see more of the back tree and the right side of the red tree, but who knows what lurks out on those sides (other than you, of course). Nice fall color with a fine golden floor.

Hi Preston,

I too like the composition and the inclusion of the secondary tree in the back; it works to support the composition, yet doesn’t take away from the lovely autumn tree.

I think the processing is spot on - given the light. And my only nitpick really is the front/side light of which there is nothing wrong with the light. It’s later (or early) and so the lower angle is favorable, but I would say the light is a little “harder” on the leaves. I really like the more dappled light closer to the center of the frame and think either burning the top 15% or so, or even cropping some off the top would still leave plenty of Sweetgum color. The only other suggestion would be to burn down the light areas on the ground a tad, but that’s minor.

A well seen, intimate autumn scene.

Lon

Lovely scene, Preston. You handled the sun very nicely in this. I like the contrast of appearance between the two trees a lot. The barren ground really doesn’t add anything, which is sad, but it’s also not a big distraction either. I do like the rock. A very pleasing image.

Preston, this works nicely on the balance with the overall composition. Albeit edge tight it does not bother me on that point. I could see just toning down the brightness a bit as previously mentioned. Otherwise, good to go…:+1: