Alternate Images

I processed a slightly different pose of the Chickadee on the moss that I posted a couple of days ago and given the more vertical pose, I went with a 6x7 horizontal crop. I’m interested in which image people think has more impact. I’m reposting the original here so you can flip aback and forth more easily.

New:

Original post:

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I did just about the same processing to this one as the first.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I’m interested in any aesthetic comparison between the two images.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7DII, Sigma 150-600 C @ 484 mm, f/8, 1/200, iso 2500, fill flash at -2 2/3 EV, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Noise reduction with Neat Image, feather enhancement with Topaz Detail. Taken at 9:03 am on October 23rd.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I’d go with the new post. I like that here there appears to some action, as if he’s going for something in the moss, where in the first post he appears at rest. I also think the pose is perhaps more typical of a BCC. In the first post the LLC is fairly bright, which tends to draw my eye, so the new crop works better for me.

Hi Dennis, they are both fine images. I like the original post as the head angle is more parallel to the viewer while in this second shot the bird is looking away. Not a big deal though as we have a good look at the eye in both images.

Hello Dennis: I prefer your previous image with more space around the chickadee. It goes well with the pose of the chickadee. The combination of square crop and the chickadee in the center in the new image looks a little odd to me.

Dennis: I prefer the new post. In the original post, the bird’s pose seems unusual and unnatural for that species. The difference in verticality between the new and old is just a few degrees, but it’s enough to make me like it more, if that make any sense. :blush:: Richard

Well, Dennis, as mentioned ever so often, I normally have problems with anything other than the 3:2 ratio. This is one of the exceptions though, as I like you repost much better :wink: . Cheers, Hans

Very nice capture. Detail on the Chickadee and the moss draws the eye into the photo. Colors contrast and blend. I love that you took the ordinary and made it extraordinary, Engaging little birds. Personal preference, the “new” photo seems more balanced…second one seems a bit less comfortable. Perhaps because the lower left corner is a bright area, competing with the white on the bird.