Amanita flavoconia (+1 small change)

With the dark bit of tree bark lightened -

Aka Yellow Patches - this specimen is about 2 1/4 inches high and has a prominent ring left by the partial veil and what looks like damage to the stipe making it look sort of like Big Bird’s legs. This is a 21-image stack and features a cute little bug on top and a tiny mushroom hiding in the moss. One of the best mushroom photos I think I’ve done.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything to improve in terms of processing is welcome.

Technical Details

Tripod w/polarizer, natural light
Focus bracketing - 21 images - 0/+ method - 4-step increments

Lr for RAW processing including white balance correction, S-curve, sharpening, clarity and texture. Used masks to target most of those adjustments.

Zerene for the stacking and some retouching, mostly to further blur the background, but keep the focus fall off looking natural.

Photoshop for some distraction removal plus zone and color masks to separate colors in the mushroom and give it some modeling using dodge and burning through masks as stencils.

Lr for a little crop and a slight vignette.

2 Likes

Kris, the little tiny insect is definitely a bonus on this beautiful mushroom. I can see why it is one of your favorites.

This is stunning, Kris! My first thought was it was right out of a Dr. Seuss book. Colors and detail couldn’t be better. Totally enjoying how the cap tills at an angle and the backwound seems to be echoing an opposite diagonal angle. Love it, great composition. Just curious, is that a very small bug on the back right of the mushroom cap? Looks like he is trying to get in on the action. Very nicely seen and captured.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman & @linda_mellor - I love the Dr. Seuss angle. Hadn’t thought of that at all. There is a small bug and a bit of some plant on the top here, the bug is behind it. Not sure what either is.

2 Likes

Hi Kris,

I like the vibrant colors in this mushroom 'scape. I like this one as presented and this one piqued my interest in mushroom photography…Jim

Thanks @Jim_Zablotny - this species is fruiting all over this time of year and they are irresistible. Well, most fungi is for me. I’d love to see what you come up with for mushroom photography, but beware, once you start, it’s hard to quit!

Really great image of the mushroom. Colors of the mushroom and the BG are very good, but what I really like are the rings on the foot.

Thanks @Ola_Jovall - yeah, I’ve never seen that on a stipe before - either amanita or other species. It was so weird and regular that I just had to get in there. It was basically just off trail and a bunch of horse riders came by as I was setting up. They went off, no hooves hit my camera or tripod so we were all good!

What an incredible looking mushroom, Kris. It’s just glowing and it looks natural. The little bug on top just had to have his image taken. Great job stacking these as well. The composition works well regardless of the brown spot on the right and the stem of this mushroom is incredible. One of if not the coolest mushroom I’ve ever seen.

1 Like

Kris, this is spectacular. I love the focus stack technique and keeping the background oof. Well done. This is one of your best images, to be sure.

Thanks @David_Bostock - it was a terrific find. I love this time of year.

Very cool! All said above, especially about the amazing stipe! It is a wonderful stack! My only useful thought would be to maybe lighten the dark area in the UL – my eye wants to check it out but only finds puzzlement.

Thanks @David_Haynes - mushroom photography is addicting! This spot was absolutely covered in so many different species and in such profusion it was a little crazy. Lucky for me it’s nearby (1/2 hour) and there were tons of choice edibles, too. We picked a bunch and ate very well!

That’s a bit of a crack in the tree bark I think, @Diane_Miller - I put a 2nd image up for comparison. Not sure it makes a huge difference, but maybe it does.

That is such a spectacular image, I had to play and see how it looked with a major cleanup. Maybe not your cup of tea though.

That doesn’t look bad all cleaned up. :grinning:

Its sort of like my pet peeve of a guy who can come in from working on his pet truck all day, hits the shower, puts on a tux and looks great! “He cleans up so nice!” Why can’t we do that?? Not fair!