Ambush!

Alternate Crop:

I’m pretty sure this is the same Sharp-shinned Hawk that we first saw as a fledgling two years ago. It appeared last year as well and I’m judging the individual based on its behavior. It will fly in chasing the songbirds and if unsuccessful will pause on the feeding station then go down to this stub underneath the canopy of a nearby apple to wait for an incautious visitor. It is very tolerant of our presence and lets me come off the back porch and get within reasonable range without flying.

We were pleased to see it show up yesterday morning and it insisted on posing for me.

Specific Feedback Requested

I’m posting an alternate crop. I’d be interested in which one you prefer and why.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
A7Riv, FE200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, hand held, f/9, 1/1250, iso 1000. Cropped from a horizontal original to a 4003x5157 vertical. Processed in LR & PS CC. A bit of selective brightening of the shadows and plumage detail enhancement using the old Topaz Detail plugin. Taken May 13th at 9:40 AM.

2 Likes

Hi Dennis, I like them both equally. I like the close crop for seeing the details in the feathers better and the original for the framing leaves and branches around the bird. What an awesome visitor to have in your yard!

Dennis, the horizontal appeals to me more because it just feel like he has the room he needs. Both are wonderful photo. Nice capture.

I also like both of these images. Excellent detail in both and they each have their own positive attributes. Color and detail are wonderful.

What a beauty!

I prefer the horizontal crop (although it needs a rotation to straighten it a bit) because it looks more like that bird is going to fly off at any second. It implies motion into the direction the bird is looking because of the open space. The portrait seems more static to me - because it’s a portrait. Technically they both are, but that’s how they strike me.

Post any more you get. A gorgeous bird.

I prefer the horizontal crop because it provides room to move and it de-emphasizes the leaf by the eye. Gorgeous shot.

Hi Dennis
I guess I am in the minority, but I like the portrait close-up vs. the horizontal. This beauty deserves full attention, which is what the portrait orientation gives.

Hey, Dennis. Both photos are terrific but, if I had to pick, I would opt for #2 for the same reasons @Anita_B gave. But either crop works.

I prefer the vertical format. It is such a cool portrait, why dilute its impact in any way? Beautiful bird, beautifully rendered.
I think I would remove the leaf that masks part of the bird’s head.