Sharp-shinned Hawk II

The same bird and session as my last post, though this was a bit earlier in the session and I was further away.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Anything. I didn’t do much to this other than enhance feather detail a touch and do some brightness/saturation adjustments on the bird and perch.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

7D II, Sigma 150-600 C @ 600 mm, hand held, f/8, 1/1000, iso 1600, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 2259 x 2937 pixels from a horizontal original before resizing. Taken December 7th at 11:40 am under cloudy skies (the sun almost peaked through about this time-hence the half-way decent shutter speed).

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

I think I prefer the body position in this one but the wing and tail position in the first post. Seems a little sharper on the body. The vertical crop works here however I think you could cut down on the amount of white space at the top a little.

Very subjective, of course, but I prefer the first image. The hawk was closer to the viewer and the pose is questionably better, I don’t think the additional perch adds, and I definitely like the first background better. Not that I would have any nits were this the only one, but I was really taken with the first one.