American Coot

I liked this for the look the coot was giving me. I tried to tame the noise, but there is still some.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Any pertinent technical details: 7DII; Sigma 150-600 at 600 mm. 1/1000 at f7.1. ISO 4000

Thanks for looking and any comments you care to leave.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Head-on shots are very cool, if you get just the right angle. You nailed this one - great pose, nice detail, and the noise isn’t apparent until one greatly enlarges the image. Really nice water colours too, and the bit of foot adds interest.
Very nice image!
S

The pose is great and the greenery adds a lot, Allen. The signal to noise ratio in the coot itself seems excellent. You could ru a little extra reduction just on the background, thou it’s only showing in the full resolution image.

Excellent. you even got the foot!! Exposure also perfect, hard to get beak and blacks right.
I would run NR on the background.

Hi,

The noise in the BG is not strong and if you printed this one, the noise would not be apparent. Well done…Jim

The surrounding colors add a lot to this image, Allen. Techs look very good. Re noise, you can try de-speckling the background (PS>Filters>Noise>De-speckle) and then apply a round of noise reduction. That seems to tame background noise well.

1 Like

Nice capture, Allen. I love that you caught him looking straight at you the grass in his beak. The water drops are a nice plus on his feathers.

Nicely framed and really good to get the bird with a snack. That head-on pose is outstanding.