American Kestrel

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

An American Kestrel captured yesterday at the Ankeny National Wildlife Refuge near Salem, Oregon. This bird has been on my bucket list for some time, but it has been elusive. It was worth the trip , cold temperatures, and high winds.

Specific Feedback

General impressions and suggestions

Technical Details

Nikon Z8 and Nikon Z 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 VR S @ 400mm
1/400 sec at f/5.6
ISO 80
Nonember 24, 2003

1 Like

The kestrel is sharp and colors are very nice, but the image quality can be improved with the following edits: The kestrel needs room so more space is needed on the right left, top, and bottom. Also, provide more space on the RH side to reveal intended movement of the subject. Second, blown highlights are obvious and can be recovered in post processing. The face is obscured by deep shadow and you can also reduce the shadows in your photo processing software. There also appears to be a vignette which is not necessary for this type of photo. The subject appears very crunchy as it seems to be over-sharpened and somewhat pixelated from the overly generous crop. So, redo this image with less cropping , adjust shadows and highlights, and reduce the saturation of the colors. Overall, the image has lots of potential and just needs some tweaking for improving the composition. I hope to see the repost and look forward to seeing the results of your photo processing. …Jim

Thank you, Jim, for your extensive and insightful critique.

1 Like

HI Ray
I love the shy American Kestrel. As for comments, you should follow Jim succession.
Peter

Hi Ray, Tough to get Kestrels to pose like this where you can get an eye level shot. I think Jim provided a helpful critique. Also, I think the blue is over-saturated. Background and perch are nice. My first impression, though, was a great photo of a Kestrel and agree with Jim there’s potential to make it even better.

Hi Ray. I’m a little late getting to this one, but I like the @Jim_Zablotny Jim approach. I also agree with @Allen_Brooks that the blues are a bit much. All the male Kestrels I’ve seen have a slightly bluish gray on head and wings, rather than the bright blue that’s showing in this image.

As others have mentioned you have the potential for a fine image here, it just needs a bit of work on the processing end.

PS I’m jealous. The kestrels at the refuge I usually go to always perch on the signs!

1 Like

In think you have a lot of great advice on how to improve this image already, so I will stay out of it. But I am wondering if you have another frame? Maybe one where the Kestrel is looking back at the viewer? Some head turn on this would have made a huge difference for me.

No, unfortunately, he did not turn his head in my direction before someone slammed a car door and he flew off.

Thank you, Dennis, it is funny all the other Kestrels that I have captured are on signs or wires a mile away. I was so surprised that he was perched on a small branch at eye level that I almost dropped my camera!

Thanks for your advice, Allen.

Thank you, Peter

Second attempt. Hopefully, I have addressed the suggestions provided. Thank you again for your help and exceptional suggestions.

Very nice. Good re-post.

Thank you, Allen, I appreciate your encouragement.

The repost is much better, Ray. I am noticing what looks like a vertical coning line coming down from just below the base of the tail to the bottom of the frame… It often happens when you have a nicely feathered brush and the feathered portion that you don’t really see catches the edge of the frame. Easy to blend in.

Thank you, Dennis, for your response.

Ray: I really enjoyed seeing your re-post as it provides an excellent view of the bird in profile. The colors in the bird are realistic and the subject is nice and sharp. The bird stands out nicely against the muted background. Nicely done!

Thank you, Richard, I appreciate your encouragement. I have been trying to photograph a Kestrel for years, all have been on signs or wires. I was so pleased to finally get a nice capture.

Looks much better with more real estate. Follow Dennis’s suggestions about the cloning artifact …Jim

Thank you, Jim.