American Robin

I spent last week in Central Washington at Alta Lake State Park with excursions up to the local Hawk Watch station (saw hawks but no decent shots). However, the campground has been planted or grown up into a wonderful assortment of bird foods bringing in a large number of Robins as well as other species. I set up a small pool and drip in front of a Ponderosa pine in my camp site and it took very little time for the Robins and White-crowned Sparrows to find it.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I was astounded when I looked at this series how similar the colors of the Robin and the Ponderosa were. I did some extra blurring of the bark and enhancement of the feather texture with just a touch of saturation on the bird. Did that provide enough separation while still keeping the camouflage feel?

Is the shadow of the perch on the bottom a problem?

Any pertinent technical details:

7D Mark II, Sigma 150-600 C @ 361 mm, tripod with ball head and Sidekick, f/8, 1/3200, iso 1600, aperture priority, pattern metering, -1/3 EV. Processed in LR & PS CC. A very slight crop on top,bottom and right to remove a touch of greenery entering the right side of the frame.

This was taken from a new portable blind and I’ll post a review of it in the gear section soon.

1 Like

Though common, robins make nice subjects and you captured a fine image of one against a great complementary background. The processing looks good.

1 Like

I like the camouflage effect in this image. This is in rather bright sun and on my iPad, it looks as if it could use a little more saturation. I don’t think you would lose the camo effects.

As this is a Western Robin, the colors are probably correct, although certainly lighter than the ones I see around here. However, you might consider darkening the midtones to make it a bit more visible. I have no problem with the shadows.