American Robin in the Grass

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We just spent a couple of days at one of the state parks along Hood Canal and the campground was very grassy. There were Robins (and other birds) everywhere and the Robins in particular didn’t seem at all shy. In light of this week’s challenge theme, I decided to try to get some low angle shots. This wasn’t the lowest angle but it was nice enough to pop up and show a good share of its body.

Specific Feedback

I’m not sure whether those out of focus daisies in the background are too much of a distraction or not. I ended up with a lot of images that had them in the foreground and those images didn’t look good to my eye, but this one seemed ok with the ones in the same plane as the robin conveying what they are rather than just being white blobs.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 648 mm, hand-held slightly above ground level, f/9, 1/1000, iso 400, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 6240x4536. Taken at 5:56 p.m. on April 22nd.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

The clarity and perspective work really well, Dennis, as compared to the first Robin image you posted. The robin appears to be searching, where as in the other photo he looked like he was hiding. The white daisies are a bit bright. What about either burning them down just a tad, or painting over them just slightly. Great shot!

Though common, Robins make great subjects as evidenced here. Excellent detail and color and the color works great with all that grass. I like the daisies in the forground, but would be tempted to remove the one next to the head and maybe darken the other two. I like the blurred foreground.

I’m enjoying the point Of view, composition, colar,And pose. Peekaboo view it is cute .

Nice image Dennis. I like the perspective with the Robin partially buried in the grass. My preference would be to keep the small daisies mid-image but take out the larger ones in back. Fine clarity and color.