American Wigeon

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Do the light reflected lines in the water distract? Is the light alone enough to make this an interesting image?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Canon 5DM4, 400mm, ISO 400, f/11, 1/200 sec

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like the head turn and the nice look at the eye and the feather detail. I like the light on the Wigeon, but feel that perhaps the duck could be a bit brighter to bring out more of the color. Also, it appears this could use some ccw rotation. I’d be tempted to remove the blue areas to the right of and above the duck and have the light concentrated in one area.

Thank you Allen. I agree with everything you said.

Hi Kathy,

Follow Allen’s instructions which should improve your composition. I like the darkness of the image, but wish that the widgeon was slightly brighter than as presented. Other than that, an image with a lot of potential. I hope that you will repost the image after the recommended edits…Jim

I agree with Allen’s assessment of this image, Kathy. I use two techniques to level water birds. If you can get a line between a feature on the bird and the same feature in the reflection, it should be vertical. If I can’t do that, I’ll eyeball the front and back of the bird where it intersects the water and connect those with a line that should be horizontal. You can also use circular ripples in the same way-the long axis of the ellipse should be horizontal. In this image, I think you could use the eye and its reflection. Basically it just comes down to making sure it doesn’t look like the bir’s going uphill or downhill on the water.

Reworked. What a difference a few small changes make!

1 Like

Very nice. Looks great in the light you captured on it.

Excellent job on the repost, Kathy. A beautiful take on a Wigeon.