Amsterdam canal reflections

Description: I’ve long enjoyed seeing and photographing reflections in water. Tose in the canals of Amsterdam blew my mind, both the choppy texture of the water and the colors being reflected—brick buildings, white walls, and blue sky. I like to think the Cubists might have been hanging out that day!

Specific Feedback Requested: any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Pentax K-7, 1/250, f/4.5, ISO400, 210mm. Minor adjustments in LR

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) no, a single image

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

stilllearningtosee

4 Likes

Very cool. I think I was gawking at all the architecture and bicycles when I was in Amsterdam and didn’t pay attention to the canals themselves or the reflections. Nice one here. The shapes are interesting and would be a challenge to put together. I prepped a reflection shot for this challenge myself, but won’t put that one up first.

Wonderful idea for a puzzle. Excellent contrast, color, detail, and abstract nature.

Very nice. A great abstract image and it would make a great puzzle. A difficult one, however, with lots of similar pieces… Nothing for my rainy sundays…

Thank you, both David and Han. Honestly, I had to hold on to a railing at the edge of the canal when I was focusing because what I saw was scrambling my brain!

Colored reflections in strongly rippled water make excellent abstracts, John. This is top notch with the strong blues, scattered oranges and high contrast.