An apparition

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The sun had just topped a desert mountain behind this foliage so it was all backlighted. This shrub stood out from the rest for obvious reasons. I liked the somewhat ethereal feel of the scene.

Specific Feedback

I have no specific questions. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Technical Details

ISO 100, 400 mm, f/5, 1/400th sec.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Don, I think you have captured the excitement of the moment. The OOF area on the LL corner is competing for attention and takes up a major part of the left side of the composition. I wonder if a vertical crop featuring the main subject would still keep the overall mood of the composition. That beautifully lit bush deserves to be featured.

Barbara, thanks. Your comment made me rethink this one. I wound up cropping a little off the bottom and the left side but otherwise leaving it alone. I think the ghostly shrub needs a fair amount of context to be what it is. I took a more tightly framed shot of it and rejected that one, partly because it lacked context and partly because the details of the ghostly shrub were too evident and too distracting.

1 Like

I like the clarity of your vision. That is what is important. Another person’s reaction should not change that vision.

Don,

This photo has an amazing fantasy feel to it. I think the OOF LLC adds so much to the overall mystical quality, and the dark background adds a level of mystery as well. Well done!

Thanks, Youssef.