An Old Mountain Road (with repost)

New version:

New version with crop:

Original:

This image is from this past October of an old disused logging road deep in the Rocky Mountains of British Columbia. It’s hard to imagine, at least for me, those huge logging trucks driving on these narrow precarious roads.

Specific Feedback Requested

All feedback is welcome!

Technical Details

2 Likes

Hey Tom, This has a strange (not sure if good strange or bad strange) feel to it… was it a sky replacement? The sky just feels like its not the right tonality of the overall scene and I can’t put my finger on what’s going on. Otherwise, the comp is pretty interesting!
The dark blue sky is a bit dark blue for me but it still works. I guess my point is, the light doesn’t really make sense… you have a bright foreground and a dark mid-ground, and a bright sky, but the sky is less bright than the surrounding mountains… does that make sense?

Lovely view Tom. The multiple layers of diagonal lines are eye-catching.

I do wish there was more or less road (a shorter format crops that removes it is a pretty nice scene too).

That sky also grabbed my eye. In Photoshop, if I adjust the saturation down (I liked -20) it looks more natural, both because the sky becomes less blue and a little less magenta. (In my experience skies are more often slightly cyan than they are violet.) If you wanted to keep the saturation below, you could either mask or restrict to the blues.

Thank you @John_Williams and @Matt_Payne for your comments! It’s always great to get more pairs of eyes to have a look at something.
Matt, the sky is the original sky but I did darken the blues in post and it sound like I may have taken them too far. I will have a look at it tonight or tomorrow.

2 Likes

Yeah ok that would make total sense! =)

Ok, I spent a little more time on this one and brought back the original sky luminosity and I like it much better. I also played around with the crop and have posted a version with less of the road. I do like the road in the original but I also like the one with less road because I feel it introduces a bit of mystery to the image…

1 Like