An unusual storm

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

It was early October and I lay down for a nap at a motel in Mammoth Mountain at 2pm. The sky was sunny and blue. When I woke up an hour later it was snowing out. I took this shot from my car window. The next day I read in the local newspaper that this snow fall was not a “storm” in the usual sense, that is, a complex change in atmospheric pressure, blah, blah. The article said that rarely an upwind can suck moisture out of Mono Lake and when blown 20 miles away to higher elevation it can turn to snow. I have no idea if this is really true. Any meteorologists out there care to weigh in?

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments and suggestions appreciated.

Technical Details

1/20 sec, f22, 105mm lens

3 Likes

I love the shutter speed you selected for the way in which it captures the motion and direction of the falling snow.

1 Like

You made a very nice colored pencil painting, Tony, I like the fading colors and the rushing snowflakes. Is it possible for you to use Lightroom or Photoshop, then you could take away the horizontal little branch in the left corner?

This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the dynamic scene with the snow blowing diagonal and the steadiness of the vertical ponderosa pines. The colors are wonderful and moody! Great work!

1 Like

I can’t answer the meteorology question, but do love the image. The storm is quite palpable with the diagonal direction of the nicely captured snow.

1 Like

I agree with all the comments above. This is a really nice image. I would not have thought of slowing down my shutter speed to catch the motion of the snow like you did, but I will the next time I am in a snowstorm! In addition to removing the branch in the upper left corner there is a black spot just to the right of center in the top of the image that could be removed. Very nice work!

2 Likes

Tony, I am really drawn to the ethereal look of this photo. The overall tone of the scene is subdued, yet there is real strength in the lines. The vertical tree trunks are subjected to the diagonal lines of the snow. Speaking of lines, I agree with @HennyJA and @Willemd, but I would also suggest removing all three horizontal limbs in the upper left that pull the eye out of the picture. Thanks for sharing this beautiful scene.

Tony, the mix of greens, warm browns and flying snow does an excellent job of capturing a snow storm in action. BTW, what you’re describing is exactly why Buffalo, NY (and surrounding areas) get many feet of “lake effect” snow every winter. There is a black dust spot near the top.

I love it! The colors and snow movement particularly caught my eye. I agree with @HennyJA that it looks like colored pencil. No other comments from me except what others have said about slight distractions.

The snow blowing diagonally tells me that it is a severe snowstorm that could be threatening, but the light and colors of the rest of the image is much lighter and does not reveal a similar feeling. Hence, the image tells me that when out in good weather, you could suddenly be caught in bad weather, and that moment of change in situation is what the image show. That is also emphasized by the fact that the ground is not yet fully covered by the snow.

I like a lot how you have captured the snow, and the colors and texture of the trees together with the crop and composition makes up a great image.

Thanks for the comments @Cathy_Proenza , @Mark_Seaver , @Ola_Jovall , @Willemd , @HennyJA , @Mark_Seaver, @DJLeland, @claudia1, and @DeanRoyer

It looks so much like a painting or drawing. Beautiful capture of the snow against the pine trees.

I missed this earlier. You caught a unique and very pleasing composition, and the blowing snow is nature’s artistic filter, for sure. A wonderful image!!

Thanks for the comments @Diane_Miller and @Todd_Grivetti.