And the wheel it turns

A painted trillium past its prime. One of the best wilted flower shots I’ve ever taken - 10 years ago!!!

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything useful is great.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Tripod

Lr processed for some desaturation, square crop, texture, sharpening & a slight vignette.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Kris, it takes some looking to realize that the main sign of aging here is the clarity in the petal tips. The receding triple, triple of petals, sepals and leaves works well.

That works well. One of my favorite trilliums, even when getting old.

I agree with Mark, the triples all work very nicely. And this is definitely one of the nicest aging flowers I’ve seen. Well done, Kris.

Thanks @Mark_Seaver, @paul_g_wiegman & @David_Bostock - even though this was from ages ago, I remember lining up the shot specifically around those triples and trying to get good separation.

Even though the woods are a sea of trilliums in the early summer, we don’t have this variety here and I kind of miss them. I’ve never been able to resist shooting them, so luckily have many images in my collection. This is the only wilted one though, the rest are dewy fresh.

1 Like

Not all trilliums are created equal.

I guess these are a quadrillium and quintillium. On the right, everything was in 4s and the left 5s.

This is an ancient photograph from the 1970s. (scanned color slide) I’ve checked the location, and although there are still many Trillium erectum they are all the standard 3-parted.

Namaste

Was that near 3-Mile Island? lol. Very cool mutation. I don’t think I’ve ever seen one with more than 3 petals/sepals/leaves/bracts.

3-Mile island, LOL. I guess that is why I grew a third eye on my ear lobe.

Genetically this is a sport. Neither of the plants produced offspring with the odd arrangement. If you look closely, there are two plants, and their stems are fused. That may have had an impact.

Both T. erectum & T. grandiflorum will occasionally produce 4 - parted sports. I found one this spring, but it was only leaves, no flowers.

Namaste

Gorgeously past its prime!! Well seen and well photographed!

Are these aberrations similar to four-leaf clovers?