Angry Bird

This little bird landed on the railing about 5 ft. away at The Heinz National Wildlife Refuge and sat there while I took my photos. After I was done he stayed there as I walked within about 3 ft from him

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques: Nikon D3300, 100-400 mm Zoom at 400 mm, f/10, 1/800 sec.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is a very nice close-up look at the Barn Swallow. The iridescence shows well and the detail is good and I like the complementary background.

1 Like

Thanks Allen. Nature did the hard work.

A very good Barn Swallow image, Nicholas. These birds aren’t usually that tame, but sometimes refuges have their own rules. It may well have had a nest near by. I’ve seen them nest in observation blinds at refuges and it wouldn’t surprise me to see them nest in the structure under a boardwalk.

Thanks Dennis. You’re right. This was on a long boardwalk that runs over the marsh. Barn and Tree swallows nest underneath the boardwalk. The refuge gets a lot of traffic so maybe the birds are getting used to the people being around. It’s common that they land on the rail but I was amazed at how close this one let me get.

Excellent color, light, head turn, detail, and background. Very difficult to get these Swallows to stand still.