Anhinga tossing a minnow

Anhinga - NPN 5

We drove down to an island in southwest Florida for two weeks and got back today. I noticed this anhinga tossing a tiny minnow in the air and catching it so I tried to capture the action. This image was taken at our condo pond. Cropped to square from a horizontal frame.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 7D2, Sigma 150-600 C
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/2000s, hand held

@allensparks.wildlife
1 Like

That’s a fun angle and nicely done.

Nice catch on this one Alan, a life and death moment frozen in time, with the elongated neck and mouth wide open; it almost seems as if he’s “playing” with his food, lol. I always look forward to seeing these “snake birds” in action when visiting FL. Bird behavior is so much fun to watch. After grabbing a fish sideways, egrets will often flip it in the air so that it’s pointed straight down for easy consumption. In NY state, I’ve seen a loon slapping his fish on the water several times, releasing him, then grabbing again to continue. After about 5 minutes of this he deems the fish ready to be swallowed.

Oh my, Allen! This is a great frozen in time moment! Not so much for the minnow. I really like the colors and it’s perfectly sharp!

Wonderful catch – for both of you! I think you could increase the exposure a bit.

Like a monster coming up from the deep. Good action and I like how you have the Anhinga facing us. It looks like it would take a lot of minnows to fill that bird. Nice.

Exciting action caught at the perfect moment. Excellent exposure and detail. How nice to have a bird like this in your neighborhood pool.

Hi Allen
I love the action. Great looking color and detail. For some reason the second shot did not open on by IMac? Nice work.
Peter

Excellent timing and superb detail, Allen. Both images are excellent. Like Peter, the second image isn’t opening a larger version for me. You might try deleting the link and reloading it.