Anhinga in water lettuce

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We saw this anhinga hunting at a small pond in a Louisiana rookery last week. He would occasionally pop his head up above the water lettuce as he moved about. I believe this behavior of holding their head above water is why they are called snake birds.

Specific Feedback

Any. We followed him around the pond hoping he would surface with a fish. The only time he did was when the light angle was terrible. I thought this one was still an interesting image.

Technical Details

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary
ISO 400, f7.1, 1/1600s, hand held

Hi Allen,

I can see why they would call Anhinga’ snake birds, if BG was the same color as the beak, they very much look like a snake, this one sort of does in the thumbnail size.

Love the backstory of how this bird stays under water for periods of time while fishing.

I wonder about the gator image you posted earlier, this looks like the same water lettuce so I assume they are sharing the same hunting grounds. Hope the Anhinga manages to stay away from the gators, although, it is the natural order of things if it doesn’t.

Very nice image, I love the details and the poking through the lettuce pose! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Very good, Allen. It looks as if it’s trying to escape as much as anything, though I know that’s not the case. Technical aspects are excellent as always.

1 Like

Oh this is interesting. I really like the way the vegetation helps it stand out so well. Anything else and it might get lost. Fish or no fish, that’s one intense looking bird. I never got good photos when I was in Louisiana so this is nice to see. Great color around the eye. and that beak is lethal indeed!

1 Like

Nice and simplistic. I like the receding depth of field. The texture of the lettuce gives the image an extra dimension. The color around the eye helps draw the attention there. I like the placement of the bird in the frame. I guess it took quite a few attempts and some time to capture this. Well worth the effort!

1 Like

Hi Allen
Nice catch, the Anhinga is sharp and the framing works.
Peter