Anna Flap

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Here’s a male anna’s standing guard over our feeder. It is launching to do battle with an intruder.

Specific Feedback

I am interested in any cropping comments, and also wondering if the subject’s shadow detail needs further dodging.

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, cropped to 1946 x 2256, 1/4000th SS, f 8.0, 750mm, ISO 7200, Photo AI

Hi Dave, love the pose of the hummingbird you captured. The puffed up feathers are great. The perch with upturned end is another point of interest - nice that he posed right on the end of it. I like the BG too. The bird overall seems a little soft to me in the larger view I guess due to the large crop. The shadow treatment looks fine to me and I’m also okay with the crop. Nice catch.

Hi Dave. Allen summed it up pretty well. The only other thing I note is that there seems to be a large amount of noise in the wings, probably from the high iso. Unless you really want to stop the wings, I think 1/4000th is overkill, but then I’ve never been interested in stopping the wings, so that’s just me.