Anna's (juvenile) and Bee Baum

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve had this hummingbird hanging out amongst the garden flowers. I think this is a juvenile Anna’s. Background is a little weird but it may be okay. This was shot out of my bedroom window.

Specific Feedback

any

Technical Details

ISO 3200, 200 to 600+1.4 X at 820 mm equivalent, F9, 2000th, about 40% of your original frame with crop.

1 Like

Excellent detail in the flower and the hummingbird, David. Since you cropped, if you have the tips of the leaves coming off the bottom of the flower cluster, you might consider including them-I’ve always found them very photogenic. I like the colors in the flower and the hummer, but the green on the stem looks rather odd on my screen. You might desaturate the greens a bit everywhere but the hummer.

Good look at both the hummer and the flower. The reds in the flower look particularly good to me. The background isn’t great, but it isn’t bad, either. Nice shot.

Awww, they’re so funny at that age - kind of awkward and slow, but so endearing, something you’ve caught well here. Agree about the reds in the bee balm, they look right to me, but agree that the greens are a bit out of sync saturation wise. The background you could blur if you wanted to - Lightroom masking with the bg selected, lower the clarity and texture. In Photoshop you could blur the background and either paint it in where needed or play with the layer opacity. I think some of the sharper edges back there could benefit. I haven’t seen any of our juveniles yet, but we have a longer wait for them as we’re about at their northernmost range.

Hello David. First, you created a lovely photograph here of a juvenile, something we don’t often see in hummingbird photos, and the overall impact of this image is great. The composition is well-done, and the moment of capture is also very good. I agree with Dennis including the tips of the sepals below the flower. As for saturation/desaturation of greens, perhaps I would try blurring the background first. They are after all true to spring/early summer greens. I’m’ not one to mess with colors in nature all that much, although sometimes it can help an image.

David, I have never seen a juvenile hummer before, so I am enjoying this. I have that same Bee Baum in our yard too, and have seen adults go to it. Now I will be keeping my out for the youngens as well!

1 Like

Hi David, nice catch of the hummer - details on the body look spot on. Nice pose too. Some good advice above on the BG and flower. An intriguing image.