Anna on a Sage Blossom

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I’ve been trying for a capture of an anna’s hummingbird in our Cleveland sage in the sun with a dark BG and I finally had one come in this morning. I only wish it would’ve been a more colorful male but I’m not complaining.

Specific Feedback

I would have preferred all of the BG to have been dark. That lighter strip of our front door entry way is a little too much trouble to make go away for me so I’ve left it. Is it too distracting?

Technical Details

Z9, Nikon 200-500 lens, monopod, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 500mm, ISO 750, AI Photo, cropped to 2714 x 1983

Nice detail in the hummingbird, Dave, though it’s rather contrasty for my taste. If this is a relatively small patch of flowers, you might put out something to reflect a little light to reduce that effect. As for the gray slice in the background, it does detract a bit from the overall effect, so I think I’d take the time to do something about it. It shouldn’t be too difficult to paint over it or just select the color and change it since it’s so uniform.

I agree with the good details in the bird. Could you crop that strip out, Dave or do you think that would be squeezing the composition too much? Nice catch.

T- that might just be the ticket. What about this one?

Works for me!

Hi Dave, yes I prefer the tight crop versus having the light strip in the BG. I like the pose of the hummer and the frontal view. Wishing for a catchlight in the eye though. Nice capture considering the tough light angle.

Hi, I much prefer the second one as the bird and front flower pop out. You have achieved wonderful depth in this photo which I really like.