Annular Eclipse

On June 10, 2021, there was an annular eclipse of the sun visible from Iceland. I just happened to be there and brought my solar filter from the previous eclipse in the US several years ago. In Iceland, there was 70% totality. The greater challenge was finding a place where there weren’t any clouds. We set off from our destination on the morning of the eclipse not knowing where we would wind up at 10 AM. On that day we were doing a 5 hour drive from one part of Iceland to another part of the island. We had some flexibility and basically look for the brightest skies with the knowledge that we might not see anything at all because of the cloud cover that day. We were fortunate to have a little break in the clouds, just enough to get this image.

Specific Feedback Requested

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Iso-8000, 100-400 at 400 mm, F8, 100th, solar filter, tripod, 50% of full frame (30 of 61 megapixels)

2 Likes

This is VERY nice! A partial eclipse is really quite boring, looking like the most basic computer art, and the clouds turned it into a work of art! I’m surprised the solar filter didn’t cut out the light on the clouds.

The clouds are really what make this image work for me. They add some drama and mood. Without the clouds, this would be rather clinical looking. And they allowed you some latitude to play with color and light for some impact as well.