Another Belted Kingfisher

I went out today for the very first time in several months, other than shopping. My county is now in level II reopening and one of my favorite spots is now accessible. This belted Kingfisher greeted me this morning at 8 AM. Sunny skies. Wish it was a lot closer. Once it finally took off it did not return to the area. Other activity was even farther away. No warblers yet.

What technical feedback would you like if any? No added sharpening or clarity adjustment. Topaz AI noise reduction in addition to DxO photo lab

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-400, 100-400+1.4 extender at 560 mm equivalent, F8, 1600th, handheld, A7r4, approximately 20% of full frame.

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

A fine image of this guy, even with the large crop, David. It’s difficult to nail the focus when they’re that small in the frame. Excellent work.

David, Kingfishers are extremely wary. Getting a decent shot of one is a great challenge, that you’ve met well here. How nice that you succeeded with clean look on an interesting perch.

Such a great shot, David. I haven’t had the chance to point my lens at one of these yet, but would sure love to have the challenge. You found him on a very nice perch, and he posed ever so nicely for you.

You certainly came out in style with a Kingfisher. They seem so hard to get any photo of. This one looks nice and sharp as well good exposure. A very nice pose. I guess this is the female.

Very nice. I am obviously a big KF fan, so I am always happy to see one. Love the perch. I am surprised at the quality of this big crop. Feather detail looks good on the head. Not sure what’s going on with the tail and feet. Heat haze, maybe? Light is just on the verge of getting harsh, and the BG is a touch busy but not bad. Looks like there might be some processing artifacts around the tail and the upper left part of the BG?

This was taken just before 8am but the morning light has been harsh this week. Nothing other than color balance to the bird. I did use Topaz De Noise on the BG and the area around the tail looks like artifact from noise removal.