Belted Kingfisher

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was out shooting BIF and couldn’t believe it when this Kingfisher landed close enough for a photo and actually stayed put for several minutes. I was able to vary SS and ISO somewhat during that time. I got about 3 BIF frames when the bird took off, but my 1/2000 SS at that point did not result in great photos.

Specific Feedback

Any and all comments welcome and appreciated.

Technical Details

Olympus OMD EM1 Mark II, Olympus 300 mm f4.0 with 1.4x Tele, 1/640 sec at f5.6 ISO 1600. Processed in DXO Deep Prime. PS Levels and Curves. This crop represents about 1/4 of the frame.

1 Like

Ron, this is really a fine image. Great pose and perfect focus on the bird (a skittish and elusive one at that). The perch (Rhododendron I assume) is very nice. The background is nicely soft and out of focus. And the position of the bird in the frame is spot on. Excellent image all around.

What David said, Ron, except I’ll add that I’m insanely jealous. Gorgeous perch and the bird posed beautifully for you.

Love this image Ron. Wonderfully composed with the leafy branch adding interest and a blurred out complimentary background. So hard to get close to these birds so glad you took full advantage of this opportunity. Their funky head feathers are a great sight to capture. Nice exposure too. My favorite bird. Well done!

Awesome image of very difficult subject to capture (at least where I live it seems next to impossible). On my old, not so good, monitor the out-of-focus leaf on the lower left margin appears very bright. Probably not on others after noting the above comments. “Well done”, indeed!

Thank you @David_Bostock @Dennis_Plank @Allen_Sparks and @Jim_Gavin for your interest and kind words. I was truly lucky on this one. I have some previous images of KFs, but have never had one sit this close for this length of time. That may never happen again! This was taken last week at 10,000 Islands National Wildlife Refuge Marsh Trail, which is about 10 miles from my house and the tree is a red mangrove which can grow here in southwest FL in salt, brackish or freshwater.

Ron,

These birds will occasionally nest around the Duck Pond and never come in close enough for a photo-op. I like this one as presented…Jim

This is a great image Ron. My wife and I were able to see a couple of these today at our local duck ponds but they were skittish and always landed too far for a really good view. I might give it a bit more room on top, but that is a personal preference.

Thanks for your feedback,Ed. I actually had another day after this one where a kingfisher perched for a long period within reach of my lens. Maybe it’s the same one and it’s just lazy!

1 Like