Another early morning Junco with pumice

Caught this morning before the sun disappeared behind the clouds.

What technical feedback would you like if any? After posting this, I noticed I had some banding in the background and I’m going to work on it and repost.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iso-1250, 400 mm +1.4 X, F6 .3, 1000th, tripod, A7r4, 50% of full frame

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

Nice setting and light. I’d like to see more of the left eye, and the brightness of the beak might be toned down.

I’m curious how you dealt with the posterization, which I assume appeared in the JPEG.

This is strong sidelight so getting more light to the eye is not easy but I did try. To deal with the banding or posterization, I used the Nik/DxO fog filter as a brush.

Nice sidelight, David. I really like the way you handled the banding. The repost looks good.

A very nice uncomplicated photo of the junco. Nice pose and the side lighting really pops up the side of the junco. Nice rich bg and I like the pumice.

Nice light on the junco. The pumice makes for a different perch and the background color looks good against the foreground elements.

Love the perch and that the bird’s tail doesn’t intersect with it. The sidelight looks good, though, as Diane mentioned, I wouldn’t mind a bit more of it. If mine, I think I’d crop up a little from the bottom.