Another hummingbird try

Using feedback from a post the other day I changed my position so the sun was behind me, Changed my f-stop to F9. I was closer than I wanted to be on this and I could have just backed off the telephoto but things happen so fast. 90D ISO 1250 1/6400 F/9 400mm I thought the white on the beak was from sunlight but seeing a photo just before it came from the flower. I left the white specks above the beak too since it was from the flower.

The background color I am not sure of, this could be color changed but not sure if I should. I was also not sure about the other flower above the right wing.

Very much improved, Dean. The feathers on the bird are tack sharp and the lighting works very well. You must have had a ton of light to get 1/6400 at iso 1250. Around here that just doesn’t happen except on the brightest of summer days. I really like the pollen on the beak as it helps tell the story. Some of my favorite hummingbird shots show pollen on the top of the head. Backgrounds are always tough on these unless you’re using a special set-up. I usually just hope they’ll hit a flower in a good spot.

Thanks Dennis, the lighting as you said before is very important. This was also around 10am local time which helped

Great capture. Being a hummer shooter myself I can appreciate the challenges of shooting these little beauties I say it’s special to get its little wings perfectly frozen considering that they beat at a coupe of million beats per second :wink: If only there was more room on the left and bottom of the frame. Oh, and I like the pollen in the air above its beak. very cool.

1 Like

Having tried shots like this, I’d be pretty happy with your results. The detail is great. I like the composition. I don’t mind the lower flower or the background behind the hummer. I could see darkening the green stem on the left. It’s too bad the tail and left wing were cut off, but as you say, these opportunities happen fast.

1 Like

Hi Dean, yes much improved with sound techs - shows the detail in the hummer well. I’d strive to catch a pose showing the eye with a catchlight even though from experience I know that takes cooperation from the bird. I’d say you are on the right track here.

1 Like

Excellent detail in the hummingbird. I too love the pollen on the beak. Too tight, as you already know.

1 Like