Hummingbird advice

There is a place with lots of flowers nearby that the hummingbirds love. So I tried some in flight photography to see how I did. This one cropped from the left and bottom some is one I did. The little bird seem to come it well so I think my big question is more cropping if needed. I do like the complete flowers on the right but that is not the main subject so my thinking is a portrait crop.

Canon 90D 100-400 ii at 400 iso 1000 f/13 I plan to return tomorrow with any advice I get here tonight.

Hi Dean,
I’m fine with the crop here showing the full flower on the right and placing the hummingbird left of frame. Nice capture with the bird engaged with the flower.

As far as further advice, I think you may want to see about a different position for yourself when photographing these birds. Putting the sun directly at your back will less likely lead to shadowing on the bird’s face and should provide a catchlight in the eye. I did not see where you mentioned the shutter speed used but perhaps a wider aperture with greater shutter speed would help to freeze the body of the bird (of course blurred wings on a hummingbird in natural light is fine). This will probably require staking out a flower and patiently waiting on the hummingbird to approach but should be worthwhile. I think you could still get good sharpness and depth of field on the body with an aperture of say around f8 or so as long as the hummingbird is parallel to you as in this image.

Hi Dean:

I think the biggest thing I would change is your position. The sun angle is causing undesirable shadows in important parts of the image (the birds face). You need to be on the other side of the bird at this time of day to pull this off successfully. I would be very cognizant of the background as well. In this image, the background draws the viewer away from the subject for two primary reasons. One is the brightness, second is the number of competing viewing elements with high contrast. Neither desirable for this type of image.

Thanks @Allen_Sparks and @Keith_Bauer. The shutter was at 1/1000 . I will go back today and see if I can get a better position. It is at a small botanical garden here so sometimes the background can be a problem. If f/8 will work as suggested that can blur it more which might help. I might try setting up the Gimbal head on a tripod and just wait. There were lots of birds so that sounds like something to try today and just focus on a flower waiting like I do with bees.

You could crop closer, Dean, though this frame is ok. I think I’d clean up some stray plant parts entering the sides of the frame. If you want to get closer, my technique is to use a tripod and a stool and sit fairly close to the flowers. It usually takes about 15 minutes for the hummingbirds to decide I’m ok. That lets you get your back to the light so you don’t have as much shadowing on the birds. Also, if it’s accessible then, early morning or late evening will give you nicer light and you really don’t need f/13 for these birds if you want a smoother background. I don’t stake out a particular flower, but do concentrate on a general clump that’s popular. When a hummingbird comes in, I just track it from flower to flower waiting for a good body position-the wings are a crap shoot.

Not much to add to the expert advice you’ve already received, though I’m okay with showing the additional flowers and the ones in back, though I’d probably remove the flower coming from the right and try to tame the bright areas in the background.

I’d echo Allen, Keith, and Dennis and emphasize that you should try and shoot in better light. One other tip: make some sugar water and put it in a spray bottle. Check out which flower or flowers the birds like and spray them with the sugar water. Once the birds find it, they’ll stay at the flower longer and come back more often.

Thanks Lyle, Allen, and Dennis. I will used these tips and advice next time I am out there. Sounds like in the morning will be best and I believe that is when there are quite a few. Tons of the flowers they like.

Hi Dean –
Hummingbirds are extremely hard to photograph in their environment. I’ve spent hours trying to freeze wings with perfect lighting. Try and shoot with the sun to your back so the light will fall naturally on your subject. I like the composition. Background is another important element. The background is a little busy. Maybe softening the background in post processing will help to focus on your bird. My eyes tend to fall on the blurred flower in the background. Try shooting at 1/2000 at f/8.0, ISO 800. Good Luck! I can’t wait to see your accomplishments.

1 Like