Another Juvenile Sora

Another image of a juvenile sora taken a couple of days back. I returned to the same spot where I saw it last week, this time in the morning. The soras were feeding along with some Virginia rails and a bunch of shorebirds. I was able to get a few shots of them as they were chasing the midges on the water’s edge. They are delightful birds, but extremely wary and would run back to hiding whenever a bird flew overhead, which was quite often.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

The light in the morning is at a different angle, but still a little hard to handle in the white landscape. I am interested in knowing if this looks too bright and/or harsh.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any/all

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

840mm/tripod, 1/800s@F8, ISO500 (-1/3Ev in post processing). Cropped a bit off the bottom for composition.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Great low angle and detail in the Sora, Govind. As to your question, it doesn’t look really harsh to my eye, but it does look just a tad bright, probably due to the light reflected fromthe water/ground onto the breast.

Hi,

Your comp looks good, but you could improve it by cloning out the light area near the lower LH corner. That area draws my eye. Colors look fine as presented…Jim

You caught a good pose with excellent detail. Looks as if you caught the Sora about to get a midge. Wouldn’t say the light looks harsh.

I like the low angle and the panoramic crop on this shot! The light does appear a bit harsh but the highlights aren’t blown and there’s plenty of detail so it works quite well. The insect that looks like it’s about to get eaten is a nice little bonus.