Sora Scavenging

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Birding at the local water treatment facility and came across this small Sora. Not very photogenic as it moved away from me. I would have preferred to have it come more towards me but, he/she was on a mission. I did like the feather patterns and the up turned tail.

Specific Feedback

I had a large crop and tried to remove the noise in Topaz. It did a good job but, removed the red from the eye. Tried multiple times and it looked okay in Topaz but, gone when I saved it to LR.
All comments are appreciated.

Technical Details

Canon R6, Canon 100-500, 500mm, 1/1000 sec, f/7.1, ISO 1250.
PS to remove some debris in LLC. LR for all other editing.

Hi Charlie, I like the stalking pose and glad you kept the red eye visible. This also shows the habitat of the Sora well. They love being around the reeds.
As you mention, the effects of a big crop shows in image quality. I think lowering saturation and brightness might help some.
Nice pose of a tough bird to get.

1 Like

Nice to get a Sora out in the open, yet still showing its environment. I think the pose is okay with the red eye showing and the uplifted leg. Diane Miller recommends using the low light setting in Topaz and that’s worked for me. I could see lowering the brightness of the background a tad.

Your suggestions were great. See what you think.
Thanks

I think with the darker background the Sora stands out more. NR looks better as well. Maybe decrease the highlights a bit on the Sora.

Nice rework Charlie. The subdued colors and brightness are an improvement. I could see running noise reduction on the BG only. Agree with Allen on decreasing highlights on the bird.

I’m late to the show, Charlie and you’ve gotten some excellent input from others. It’s always great to catch one of these-even if it’s moving away from you. My only other suggestion would be to try to get it to come by when you have nicer light :smiley: