Sora

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Saw this Sora (a type of rail) at a local park in Memphis. He/she spent most of the time behind many reeds in the wetland area. These are the two clearest shots I got. I couldn’t get to a lower shooting angle due to reeds at the lake’s edge. I was still happy to get these of a bird I have only seen once before.

Specific Feedback

Any. Not sure I will do any more clean up on these images as wetland vegetation is part of the natural habitat of this bird. Any thoughts on that?

Technical Details

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 contemporary
ISO 640, f8, 1/800s

1 Like

I the reflections on both of the images. The blue water (2nd one) is the one I would remove the extra grasses from. I think it would stand out better without those distractions. The upper image has a few blades of grass I’d remove too. I do like the color of the water in that one. I typically clone out the debris in the water. Nice capture! I know what you mean about not being able to get down low enough. Guess you don’t like getting all wet! :slight_smile:

Great to get such similar poses in both, Allen. I’d just clone out the reeds behind the bird in no.2 (and reflections thereof - ugh!) if possible. Your higher viewpoint allowed for better reflections, so that worked out well. If forced to choose I’d go for picture 2, as the colours are more contrasting.

Another bird I’ve never seen before. They look like they’d be shy and always hiding so good on you for being patient. I especially love that you caught the red eye. So many birds have those, but I don’t know of any mammals that do so it makes me wonder at why that adaptation. Nature is endlessly surprising.

In terms of the vegetation, I’d crop or clone the very left edge of the first shot. The grass is running in the frame edge and just looks accidental. I’d either include it all or exclude it all. Same with the ones exiting the frame on the left of the second photo, too. Agree with Mike about your position being great for those reflections. That little tail sticking up is priceless.

Allen, Sora’s are hard to spot and as you describe rarely out in the clear, so you did well with both shots. I really like the colors in the water in #1 and how they coordinate with the bird In #2 the bird really stands out against the blue water. I like that you’re showing the bird’s environment in both. In #1 I’m thinking that showing more vegetation along the left edge would work. If you want to reduce the attraction of the bent green reeds, you can their brightness down a bit.

Excellent image quality and it’s cool that you got essentially identical poses in both places. I agree with Mark that if you have more canvas available on the left in the first, I’d add it in. Some of those reeds on the edge do look like they need completing. In the second, there are a few of those reeds along the edges that I’d get rid of, but it’s a matter of taste.