Sora - a lifer for me in Memphis

I hope it’s okay to post these multiple frames (if not, please delete).

Our local ornithological society issued a rare bird alert for this species at a park in Memphis. I located the Sora and found the bird to usually be in or behind reeds obstructing a clear photograph. I am posting three frames I took of the bird to show the situation. I’m wondering if I had to choose one frame to showcase the bird, which one should I choose? Any other thoughts on how to handle this situation?

Canon 90D, Sigma 150-600 C, hand held

ISO 400, f6.3, 1/400s
This is more of an environmental image which could probably use more clean up (i.e. remove reed coming from behind the bird’s head).

ISO 640, f7.1, 1/1600s
This image is tighter than usual to eliminate distractions.

ISO 400, f7.1, 1/400s
This image shows the bird on the move when it was briefly in the clear.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Allen-
For me, the top one with some careful reed editing work at its head would make it my fav. I really like the rich feather colors in that one. My pick of them as is would be the middle one, though. Congrats on the rare scores!

First, congrats on the lifer! I can see why you are undecided here. They each have their strengths and weaknesses.

#1 I like the light and therefor the color here but even with cleanup I suspect there are too many distractions and not enough about the bird to pull your eye away from them.
#2 This is a very nice, sharp image. Seen alone rather than against the others, I probably wouldn’t have noticed but perhaps the white balance could be adjusted for a little more golden color. The light looks good but it seems a bit dull against the other 2 shots. The only real nit I have on this one is that a lower perspective would have made it nicer. This one is my choice for favorite.
#3 This one is also nice color and DOF that separates the background but it is not as sharp as the second one.

Allen, congratulations of finding and capturing some very nice images of this rare bird. When I hear the word rare, I always think that it could even go extinct, so for you to get these great captures is wonderful. I like all 3, but I am glad I came after Terri to view and comment, because I like her reasons for choosing #2. I was looking at the great sharp details, and some reflections in the water, but was wishing it was more on the level of the bird, than shooting down at it, so I kept going back to the others. I still think, for a frame to showcase a rare bird, #2 is it.

Thanks for the comments everyone! I agree about the shooting angle in #2. I was crouched down on a boardwalk but wish I could get even lower.

Shirley, this species is not near extinct but one we rarely see in my home area. I actually think it is listed as Least Concern in its full range.

1 Like

Congrats on the lifer, Allen! I think #2 is cleanest but too bad about the shooting angle. I really like #3 though. I would clone out that branch on the far right and play with some ways to reduce the BG’s highlight but I think you have got a very nice pose there.

Hi Allen,

Any rail that you catch out on the open is a thrilling find for any birder. 2 and 3 are very nice and you could selectively remove the dark branch on the rh side. Well done and congrats :beers: …Jim

All 3 are pleasing images and their pros and cons have been well covered by the other critics. From a standpoint of composition, I prefer the first one. Yes there are distractions but a moderate vignette might really focus attention on the Rail. Very cool to find this in your area. Even in the Pacific Northwest which is part of their range, they are not easy to find or photograph.

Allen: I think I’d work up the first, though the other two are great “field guide” style images. Maybe a touch of cropping from the right and top on the first and cleaning up that one reed?

Congrats on a lifer. As you say, they’re not uncommon, but hard to find due to their propensity to hide in the reeds. For that reason, your first shot is probably the “best” as it shows the typical habitat you find them in. The second one probably shows the best detail and the third is probably a compromise between the first two, but does show some action. Frankly, I’d be thrilled with any of them.

It is always exciting to see a rare species, let alone photograph them well. So, congrats on doing both. Nice images all across - I like the second image the best for its sharpness and composition, but I also like the third images for the angle, lighting and inclusion of elements. Too bad it isn’t as sharp - I find one needs a surprisingly high shutter speed when they are on the move to get them sharp. With the lighting, you should try with a higher ISO, if you have the opportunity.