Another Juvie Little Blue Heron

This has got to be the same LBH in the same place from my previous two LBH posts. Somehow, it looks so forlorn and lonely.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

I did some minor “pruning” of stems actually behind the subject. I could have done more, but I felt it would start looking inauthentic. Your thoughts?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I definitely like the mood of this image. The bird looks a little dingy and tired. I did only noise reduction, detailing and WB control. Did I do enough, too much, just right?

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera Info: Nikon D500, HH, beanbag in SUV window
Lens: VR 300mm f/4E + 1.4x TC
Focal Length: 420mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Dynamic, 25 points
VR: ON
Aperture: f/8
Shutter Speed: 1/2500s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: -0.7EV
Metering: Spot
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 800
83% of full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2019, Topaz Studio, Denoise, Camera Raw filter, TK sharpening @ 30%

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I don’t have any changes to suggest to this photo. I like the color and exposure is good with lots of feather details. I like the composition with the prominent stick diagonally centered and bird offset. There aren’t any sticks that intrude but just a nice rep of the environment. Nice pose and look on the bird. I like it. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like this, Phil, just the way you have it.

I like this as-posted, Phil, though the dark log in the lower right tends to draw my eye just a bit. It might change the mood too much for your purposes, but I think a vertical would work nicely for this as well.

The heron stands out well against its habitat. Good detail in the heron and you definitely caught a look that suggests he’s had better days.

Phil: your gardening looks good to me as does your preservation of the detail in the whites. I really like the look the bird is giving you. Congrats! Richard

I like the posturing here. Good job on the exposure. A really pleasing environmental look. I think you did a good job in cleaning up the area around the bird. It stands out well and without distraction in a busy setting

1 Like

Good job getting this young one out in the open, Phil. I have noticed that the little blues seem even more awkward when they are in transitional plumage approaching adulthood, maybe like pimply teenagers. I think this would work well with a crop from RHS to eliminate the dark part over there.

1 Like

Hi Phil
You did a really nice job on the whites. I thing the eye contact and the fact the blue is only standing on one leg, really adds to the photograph.
Peter

1 Like