Juvenile Tricolored Heron

This young’n has obviously not learned the ins and outs of what is food and what isn’t. It picked up this longleaf needle 3 or 4 times and dropped it, only to pick it up again. Finally, it quit and moved on to something more edible.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Have I oversaturated the heron? I cut off the reflection, which kind of petered out in the ripples, I had room for it below, and a bunch more on the RHS, but I cropped for composition above and in front and the hidden feet below, leaving me with 51% of a full frame. Should I have tried for more of the frame?

Any pertinent technical details:

Camera Info: Nikon D500, HH, braced in SUV window
Lens: VR 300mm f/4E + 1.4x TC
Focal Length: 420mm
Focus Mode: AF-C
AF-Area Mode: Dynamic, 25 points
VR: ON
Aperture: f/7.1
Shutter Speed: 1/160s
Exposure Mode: Aperture Priority
Exposure Comp.: 0EV
Metering: Spot
ISO Sensitivity: ISO 640
51% of full frame
PP in LR/PS CC 2018, Topaz Studio, Camera Raw filter, TK sharpen for web @ 40%

Getting Tricolors as juveniles has always been fun for me. You’ve got a fine pose and the pine needle “snack” is a bonus. If mine I would prefer a bit more room for him to look on the RHS, and possibly some below as well. It’s my opinion that the colorful surroundings play a valuable role in this type image, so I’d favor more of it. As to saturation, it looks reasonably natural to me. Very nice detail for the crop.

Wonderful shot of the heron in its habitat. All looks natural. I could see even a bit more of a crop on the bottom. Given that the heron’s attention is on the plant, I think there is enough space on the right.

The saturation looks fine to me, Phil. The crop is a tough one. My taste would be a touch more off the bottom which would give the illusion of adding more on the sides as well.

It looks to me as if the whites in the reflected bird are as bright or brighter than in the bird itself, particularly the white area just below where the bird’s right leg reflection merges into the body reflection.

Lovely image. I like the pine needle. Maybe it was starting to think about playing house.

The color and this is superb. I think your saturation levels are just perfect. Excellent composition, and detail. I don’t think I would do much to this image with respect to the crop. I like it as is although maybe an extra half-inch on the left side of the large image would give it a slightly different look. I wouldn’t crop the bottom because of the reflection.

Hello, Phil, lovely bird and composition. Since I do not know the bird as a juvenile, I cannot judge whether or not you oversaturated it; the others reactions though suggest you didn’t. The whole image looks a little reddish to me, but maybe that’s just me. I might be interested in a little more on the right, maybe pano-crop (just adding to the right). That said, the image is very good as posted ! Greetings, Hans