Another Kind of Raptor

I was privy to a private F-22 Raptor demonstration prior to the Thunderbirds weekend show at Tyndall AFB, 2017. One of the demonstrations was a high speed, full afterburner turn. To get the images for this composite, I shot the entire turn, then pieced 11 of the 16 image shot into a representation of the turn.

When the f-22 squadron was at Tyndall, each pilot who graduated the program, received one of these prints as a part of their graduation package.

Specific Feedback Requested

I realize the far right side is pretty bright but it was right near sunset and this is shown through the highlights on the aircraft’s skin.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: Yes
This is a composite of 11/16 shots, handheld, Nikon D500, 200-500 zoom at 500mm, f/8 @ 1/2500, ISO 400.

Processing consisted of isolating enough shots to show the entire turn but not too many as to confuse the viewer. The hardest part was keeping the vapor bleed-off without obscuring the plane image behind one or another. It is not totally representative of the turn in that the circle he made was a bit more than a 1/4 mile and I am showing a compressed version, again more for clarity than accuracy. I used the select and mask tool, a lot of mask feathering and both a light and dark luminosity mask for light and bright and for color definition.

2 Likes

This is a nice gift and memory for those graduating pilots. I like the even separation between each olane, and the various vapors on each. Almost like a figure 8 pattern.

I agree with Mark, nice gift and memory. I think this is a very unique approach to aerial images. I may have to try this at the next airfare here. Pretty cool. The lighter right side doesn’t bother me at all. An awesome image overall and I wouldn’t change a thing.

I’m reminded of a print my father had and gave to me. He was in the Air National Guard and was supporting one of the air shows in Washington State. The Thunderbird team personalized and signed the print of them in formation for his help during the show.

Nice work, Chris!

Thanks, I do a lot of airshow composites. Later, I will post some others as well in the avian section some Osprey composites.

1 Like

Outstanding! Wonderful composite. I love airshows. We used to have a very good one here in Yakima, Washington, but times change, and, unfortunately, it is no longer being held. Thanks for posting this awesome photo.

1 Like

Super idea and execution! The lighting was difficult and you handled it well, along with the compositing and composition. I think the lighter right side is a dynamic element.

Our local airshow had been quite good in the past but has steadily gone downhill in the last 4-5 years, for financial reasons, and has been cancelled again this year. I’m not sure it will be revived.

1 Like