Another LBM

I was trimming some tree branches to go in the yard waste bin when I found this scene, in between an oak and a redwood. Had to go get the camera.

Specific Feedback Requested

All comments welcome!

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon R5, 100mm macro, focus stack, f/8, ISO 200, 1/40 sec. Some tonal adjustments in LR to try to get more detail in the smooth top, and then tried more in PS, but never got what I felt it needed. The camera was lower than it looks, with the small RRS tripod as flat as it would go with the fairly low Flex-Shooter head.

2 Likes

Nicely seen, Diane. For me, the mushroom has plenty of detail, especially in the stem and on the edges. The monochromatic colors give a gentle feel and the flare of the pine needles and angle of the mushroom stem create a wonderful composition.

Very nice find, Diane. Certainly worth going and getting the camera. I really like how the needles are lying on the mushroom too. A well balanced composition.

What a wonderful tiny still life! Those pine needles are perfect, and the monochromatic color is quite pleasing.

Excellent intimate scene, Diane. Well done on the focus stack too. Awesome.

What a gorgeous little scene! I love the pine frond on the cap. The others on the ground are so complementary. That tripod goes low, but sometimes it’s still too tall and I resort to a beanbag. In this case I might have taken a few leaves and put them in the URC to give the surrounding area some uniformity, but maybe next time. I really like the subdued palette.

Thanks, everyone! Indeed, @Kris_Smith, I’m kicking myself for not putting some leaves in that corner – I didn’t see it until I processed the shots. But even worse, to me, is the stick center right. One leaf there and two or three in the corner… I think I didn’t notice them because I was lying on my side to try to get my eye to the viewfinder. I have an articulating screen, but this is my first camera with one and I often don’t think to use it – and besides my reading glasses were up the hill in the house.

@Diane_Miller This looks very natural to me. What I see is nature’s milliner putting a feather in your cap and leaving the rest on the workbench beside it while assessing the job. :smiley: I was not at all distracted by the stick because it blends so well with the background; but now that you mention it, I can see why you wish you had removed it. Good observation and a lovely stack.

The comp is very nice and I like the graphic crispness and warm colors throughout the image. Stick doesn’t bother me one bit. Excellent photo and I like it as presented…Jim

What does LBM stand for?

@Igor_Doncov , apologies for the abbreviation – that’s a Kris Smith designation for a little brown mushroom.

Did you get that label from David Aorora’s book? I think he coined the term.

I got it from @Kris_Smith – I’ll tag her for an answer, as she’s way more into mushrooms (and other assorted fungi) than I am.

1 Like

I can’t remember where I first heard it, Lincoff maybe? Could have been from Arora’s book, but then again I’ve also heard LBB tossed about. Little brown bird.

1 Like