Small Scene with Mushrooms

Taken within ten feet of my last post. I noticed some of these when I stood up after taking the images of the lichen and particularly liked this little array. The largest of these is perhaps 3/4" in diameter.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

5DIII, EF 180 f/3.5 macro, tripod and cable release, 38 image stack, all images at f/7.1, 1/60, iso 1000, manual exposure, manual focus, manual focus stepping (the front mushroom was probably 4 inches in front of the rear one, so it took a lot of steps. Processed in LR & PS CC. Stacking in Helicon Focus. Lots of cleanup to the upper background where the stacking created some significantly ugly areas.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

@Dennis_Plank - I like the very dark background in contrast with your subject and that one of them is reaching up and the other down. I like the water (?) pooled on the larger one. It looks like some sort of membrane. Very nice.

Dennis, the water on the largest mushroom cap is a neat extra. I like the needles also. If you had background problems in the upper dark, oof area, that says you used the Helicon B method. If you go back and use the C method you’ll avoid that problem, but you may see some other artifacts.

Thanks, Mark. I did use the B method. It’s been working well, so I haven’t played around much with the other options in a long time.