Tearing me apart

A quick grab-shot while I was on a tour of Kemp station with a group of people. Couldn’t stop long, but I couldn’t pass it by either. Such a cute little LBM. Now I have met the folks up there, I know who to contact to get permission to visit and can go back. Kemp Station is part of the Agricultural college attached to UW Madison and it’s the only Ag Station that deals specifically with natural resources; the rest are corn and cows. Since timber is still a major crop here in Wisconsin, it’s important to manage forests as forests and not just crops.

Oh and I’m going back up there to sit in on some sessions of Fungi Fest so maybe I can get better at IDing these guys. Even with several books I still don’t know what this is. Without taking a spore print and doing some other things, it will have to remain an LBM.

Specific Feedback Requested

So…I know stacking is something that might have been useful here, but I didn’t have time so I went with a single focus point. Does it still appeal? With these my preference is to get the leading edge and let the rest fall away.

Technical Details

Handheld

Lr for initial processing including wb adjustment, color management for some better separation and luminance, a bit of a crop. The usual tone curve and some dehaze since I didn’t have a polarizer on. Topaz Denoise with some extra detail enhancement. Photoshop to remove a distraction.

1 Like

A nice shot of this little mushroom, Kris, especially under the rush of not holding up a group and still keep up. The edge is nice and sharp, and to me that is where the most interest is, with those nicks in it. The fall off of the focus is perfect to me. Love the surroundings of the mushroom as well. Well done.

No need to focus stack this Kris. Works much better with just the edge of the shroom in sharp focus. We all know what everything else is and we definitely don’t need it to be in focus. It would take away from the main subject here. The colors look terrific, the framing looks really good and the color contrast between the shroom and everything else is magical. You did well to get this while not holding up your group. I just returned from a month long trip with family and missed out on endless photography because I was with people that didn’t want to stop all the time. So I came home with almost nothing.

Thanks @Shirley_Freeman & @David_Haynes - yeah, I don’t mind the softness, especially when, as you say David, we know how to fill it in with imagination. I have learned that hiking with photographers isn’t something most people want to do. That’s why I tell people I take a camera for a walk, that way they know what they’re getting into. Some people can stand it and some can’t so mostly I walk alone. That’s fine and I don’t mind.

1 Like

I just caught up to this – I love the focus falloff, both on the mushroom and the BG. Good for you being quick on the draw!

Actually I think you have the ID wrong. The colors are too bright for an LBM. Probably an LOM.

:laughing: LOM for sure! Am heading out today to seek more LOMs and maybe this weekend I’ll get some more skills to help me ID them without having to harvest and do spore prints or put bits of them under a microscope. Still have lots of LBMs though I’m sure.